Your medical school fellowship application is a vital part of the process before you can train and work closely with fellow professionals and mentors. It is a rewarding yet difficult stage to pass, but you can make it provided you’re guided with things to know about the application and the personal statement.
Personal Statement for Fellowships for Medical Students
This document gives you the chance to shine among the crowd and demonstrate that you’re an achiever type of a person who can keep up with the demands of the fellowship medicine and be able to perform on top of your abilities, knowledge and skills. This is your chance to overcome inadequacies in your record and it can give the readers an idea about you and the things you can bring to the table.
Your personal statement demonstrates:
Writing Personal Statement for Fellowship Medical Education
- Do not overstate your achievements and accomplishments in the personal statement for fellowships for medical students. In short, never claim for something that you don’t have any credit to and do not try to impress and tell a lie.
- Just be yourself. Do not try to imitate someone you are not in your personal statement because this paper is all about you and not about another person.
- Highlight the reasons you are taking the fellowship study and state the things that make you deserving in your own merits and rights. What makes you a unique candidate than others are?
- Create an interesting personal statement for fellowship medical education. Introduce your unusual features, including your experiences and stories, something that can reveal the unique person you are and that help the readers distinguish you from the others.
- Do not state repetitions or restate your CV. Your personal statement is your own story and uniqueness for the fellowship in medicine and it is not a rewritten version of your resume.
- Engage your readers. Use an intriguing or compelling opening. The same goes for your closing sentences.
- If you need to cite statistics or writings, they must be current. Be careful when using examples from your childhood or high school days.
What to Avoid in Fellowship Medical Education
- Not understanding your purpose or goal
- Not having a sharp focus in the overall flow or direction of the statement
- Being arrogant about achievements
- Not telling the truth and over claiming things
- Not revealing motivations
- Repeating experiences
Timeline for Fellowship Medical Education
Feel free to chack *ERAS
July 2016 Fellowship
- June 9, 2015 start of submitting token request
- July 15, 2015 application begins
- May 31, 2016 application ends
- July 1, training starts
July 2017 Fellowship
- June 9, 2015 submission of fellowship token request
- December 1, application starts
- May 31, 2016 closing of application
- July 2017, training starts
Follow these tips when writing your personal statement for fellowships for medical students and make yourself shine!